General considerations for Specialized Transportation:
- The student's IEP team must make the determination as to whether a child requires transportation as a related service. 34 CFR 300.34 (c)(16).
- A child's IEP team is responsible for determining whether transportation between school and other locations is necessary in order for the child to receive FAPE. Likewise, if a child's IEP team determines that supports or modifications are needed in order for the child to be transported so that the child can receive FAPE, the child must receive the necessary transportation and supports at no cost to the parents.
Other considerations include:
- the nature & severity of the child's disability
- personnel necessary to assist child
- extent of services to be provided (bus stop, car seat, monitor, door to door including precise pick-up & drop off points
- description of specific circumstances for the provision of transportation outside of the regular school day
- least restrictive environment consideration
- provision of necessary medical procedures for medically fragile students
- access to FAPE
Considerations that are NOT part of IEP Team considerations:
- Bus scheduling matters, including determination of bus route and timing of pick up and drop off
- Selection of bus stop.
- Selection of bus driver and any other personnel who will assist the student during transportation.
- Decisions about appropriation of resources used to provide that transportation - private fleet versus contracting with companies who have independently owned vehicles.
Please click here to see the Middleborough Public Schools' Specialized Transportation Handbook for students and families utilizing specialized transportation.