Welcome to Health Department
Mission StatementMIDDLEBOROUGH PUBLIC SCHOOLS
“You cannot educate an unhealthy child, and you cannot keep an uneducated child healthy.”
–Dr. Jocelyn Elder
Healthy Reminders for Wellness, Illness and School Attendance, from Middleboro Public School Nursing:
(Last updated September 6, 2023)
As much of the area is experiencing an increase in seasonal illness, Middleborough Public Schools, in partnership with our State DESE/DPH and Local Public Health Departments, would like to share the following healthy reminders: Please:
- Practice frequent hand hygiene with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, or if a tissue is not available, cover sneezes with an elbow
- Open a window, even a few inches, to help circulate fresh air when this is an option.
- Clean high-touching surfaces in your home frequently .
- Please keep your child home from school if your student has:
- A temperature of 100.1 F or higher during the previous 24 hours: Students are to be fever free without use of medication for 24 hours before returning to school
- Vomiting or diarrhea: Students are to have no vomiting and no diarrhea for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Signs or symptoms of flu/Influenza include body aches, chills, headache, fatigue.
- If your student is ill, please keep your student home from school and please avoid social gatherings. This will help with recovery and reduce the chances of spreading illness to others.
- Please contact your pediatrician or healthcare provider if your child needs medical care.
- Please notify your School Nurse if your child tests positive for COVID19 or Influenza. This will help us assess and possibly detect illnesses in others sooner.
- Please notify your school about any changes in any of your emergency contact phone numbers and/or emails so that we may reach you promptly if your student is ill and needs to be dismissed from school to recover at home.
- We share your commitment to reducing any chances that children with a contagious illness may expose others to illness at school. Thank you.
- Link to: Current Massachusetts COVID-19 guidance for Children and Staff in Mass Schools:
- Link to Mass DPH Letter on Staying Healthy this season, from November 1, 2022:
- MPS District Website, Health services page includes a general list of when to keep your student home: https://www.middleboro.k12.ma.us/Page/5726