March 3, 2014
Posted by Paul Branagan at 3/3/2014
Hello Sachems! I hope you had a wonderful weekend! I can’t tell you how proud I am to serve you as your principal! This past week was a true representation of how powerful Sachem Pride can truly be! There were so many moments this past week that made me so proud and humbled to be leading your high school. The students who serve on the Principal’s Roundtable are truly representing all of you with their insight and depth for ways to make our school great! From being a part of the excitement at the hockey game on Sunday where the crowd was huge! You packed the stands to show support and truly demonstrated good sportsmanship and Sachem Pride. On Saturday, I had the honor to spend the afternoon with the STW and to watch their entry in the New England Drama Festival. Their self-written, produced and directed play, Mac & Beth was one of the most powerful performances I have ever seen! Your talent and expression of confidence, creativity and engagement was awesome. So…as always, you never cease to amaze me! Finally, to watching the members of the Student Council come together as they prepare for their state conference this week has been amazing! What a great week! I want each of you to remember that we are the Black and Orange…and please never forget the power of Sachem Pride. So, with that said…let’s make this week even better! Here are a few items for the week ahead.
1. Sachem Shout-Out:
• Congratulations to the Boy’s Hockey Team for a great game on Thursday. Thank you for a great season!
• Congratulations to Jeremy Hernandez for his outstanding job at the State Tournament for Wrestling and will compete next weekend at the New England Championships! Bring it home, Jeremy!
• CONGRATULATIONS!!! To the Cast and Crew of STW who were instrumental in creating Mac & Beth! It was an outstanding show!! A note of congratulations is in order for Olivia Brennock was honored for her acting and choreography. Jamie Logan for choreography and Demi DiCarlo for acting. Job well done! I am looking forward to having you preform Mac & Beth for the home crowd!
2. The 2014 – 2015 Scheduling Process
• Thank you to all of our students in Grades 9 – 11 for completing the course inquiry and sign-up for next year. We can now begin to create the schedule for next year. I sincerely hope that each of you took a risk and raised the bar higher for yourself and took a class outside of your current comfort zone. If you have not created your requests in Aspen for next year, you must see your Guidance Counselor immediately.
3. ELA & Math MCAS Re-Test ~ March 3 - 7
• Just a reminder to our students who will be in need of taking the MCAS Retest exam for Math, which will begin on Thursday, March 6 and will conclude on Friday, March 7. I am very excited that we do not have any students in need of re-testing in ELA. Well done!
• I wish our small group of students who will be testing a great deal of success with this test. I know you can do it!
4. MHS Celebrates Foreign Language Week ~ March 3 - 7
• It is with great excitement to announce Foreign Language Week 2014. Please check out all of the exciting events that are taking place all this week in Foreign Language. I hope to see many of you at the FutSal Game on Monday after school.
5. Progress Reports Distributed ~ March 5, 2014
• Please be reminded that Progress Reports will be distributed on Wednesday, March 5th through a brief advisory at the end of the school day.
6. Parent-Teacher Conferences ~ March 5, 2014
• Just a reminder that Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held this Wednesday from 6:00 – 8:30pm. Please be sure that you complete the appointment sheet for all of your teachers. There are still some available in the main office.
7. Guidance Counselor Corner:
• Please check out the Guidance Counselor Corner for this week. You can access all important updates from Guidance each week! Do not miss it!
8. Attention Juniors ~ It is time to Prepare for the SAT’s:
• If you are planning to apply to a four-year college or university next year, now is the time to sign up to take the SAT. You can take the SAT at MHS on Saturday, May 3rd. Please go to www.collegeboard.org to register. The deadline to register for the May test date is April 4, 2014. If the May date does not work for you, the test is offered in June, but will be at another location. If you are on free or reduced lunch, please see your guidance counselor for a fee waiver. The fee to take the SAT Exam in $51.00. Do not miss out on this opportunity!
9. MASC State Conference ~ March 5 – 7, 2014
• The Middleboro High School Student Council will be attending their state conference this week. I am proud of the 24 students who will be representing our school at this conference. Also, four students under the direction of Mr. Pelletier from TV Production will capture all the special moments of the conference that will host over 1,000 student leaders from across the state. A special note of luck to Nick Coletti who is running for State President! Make us proud, Nick!
Have a great week and be good to each other!
We Are Sachems!